Local AngloINFO


The world is my home

Expand Current Page

Driving with a Foreign Licence

Driver's licences issued in other countries may be used in the UK for a limited period...

To drive legally in the UK a driver must be at least 17 years old and have a valid licence of a category appropriate to the vehicle being driven.

Using a Foreign Licence in the UK

Visitors over 17 years of age, with a valid driving permit issued elsewhere in the world, may drive a passenger vehicle in the UK for up to 12 months.

After 12 months, some foreign licences remain valid for use in the UK for a limited period; some may be exchanged for a UK licence; some cease to be valid and a full driving test must be taken for a British licence (GB) to be issued.

Driving with an EU/EEA-issued licence

A valid driving licence issued anywhere within the European Union (EU), or European Economic Area (EEA), may be used by the licence holder until the age of 70, or for up to three years from the time they become resident in Great Britain (whichever is longer).

After three years it must be exchanged for a GB licence.  EU licences can only be renewed in the country in which the holder is resident.  If a driver holds a licence from another EU country and renews it in Britain, it will be converted to a UK licence.

Note: An EU/EEA-issued licence may not be exchanged for a GB licence if it was issued in exchange for an original licence not on the "designated countries" list.

Penalty points given for driving offences made during the three-year period are recorded by the DVLA and listed against the driver's name. Drivers may be disqualified from driving if they accumulate 12 penalty points within three years.

  • For comprehensive information on driving in Great Britain on an EC/EEA licence: Click here
  • For information on driving in Northern Ireland on an EC/EEA licence: Click here

Licence issued in a designated country

A licence issued in one of the 15 countries with which Great Britain has a reciprocal licencing agreement may be used for 12 months and then exchanged for a GB licence of an equivalent category.

The 15 designated countries are:

  • Australia, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Falkland Islands, Hong Kong, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland and Zimbabwe
  • In addition, a category B passenger car licence from the Faroe Islands and Republic of Korea may be exchanged; a motorbike licence is not exchangeable

Although the designated country licence is only valid for the first 12 months, it may be exchanged at any time within five years of the licence-holder becoming resident in the UK. However, after the first year the driver may not drive until that is done.

  • For information on foreign driving licences in Great Britain: Click here
  • For information on foreign driving licences in northern Ireland: Click here

Licences from other countries

A licence issued by any other country is valid for use for one year. To continue driving, a full driving theory and practical test must be taken for the issue of a GB licence.

Do you have a suggestion to improve this page? click here...

Looking for an international business opportunity? Why not run an AngloINFO site?
AngloINFO is growing fast and is looking for the right people to take on regional AngloINFO franchises around the world - click here to find out more!

AngloINFO Franchising: Be your own boss - where you want to be!